Baptisms are celebrated on the 1st and 3rd Sunday of each month at 12:45pm, immediately following 11:30am Mass. There is no charge, although donations are appreciated.
Godparents are expected to be practicing Catholics who are able to present a certificate of eligibility from their parish.
The Church of the Nativity adheres to the Code of Canon Law regarding Baptism Sponsors:
- Insofar as possible, a person to be baptized is to be given a sponsor who assists an adult in Christian initiation or together with the parents presents an infant for baptism. A sponsor also helps the baptized person to lead a Christian life in keeping with baptism and to fulfill faithfully the obligations inherent in it.
- There is to be only one male sponsor or one female sponsor or one of each.
- To be permitted to take on the function of sponsor a person must:
- be designated by the one to be baptized, by the parents or the person who takes their place, or in their absence by the pastor or minister and have the aptitude and intention of fulfilling this function;
- have completed the sixteenth year of age, unless the diocesan bishop has established another age, or the pastor or minister has granted an exception for a just cause;
- be a Catholic who has been confirmed and has already received the most holy sacrament of the Eucharist and who leads a life of faith in keeping with the function to be taken on;
- not be bound by any canonical penalty legitimately imposed or declared;
- not be the father or mother of the one to be baptized.
- A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic ecclesial community is not to participate except together with a Catholic sponsor and then only as a witness of the baptism.
Parents and godparents are required to watch a 25-minute video to prepare for the Baptism.
To access the video:
- Go to https://formed.org/signup (Note: FORMED is a free content service available to our parishioners.)
- Sign in if you are already a member, register if you are not.
- Once you are logged in, select PROGRAMS on the toolbar at the top.
- Select THE SACRAMENTS from the drop-down menu.
- Select the module entitled, Reborn: You, Your Child and The Heart of Baptism
- Select Episode 2: Entering the Mystery
You are welcome to watch other sessions if you wish.
For questions or to schedule a Baptism, please call Claire Harbeck, Pastoral Associate at 732-741-1714 x20.